Wednesday, February 22, 2006

You haven't enjoyed a cup of coffee until...

you try to sip it in slurps and gulps while moving the cup all around your office to keep it out of nose and paw reach of an enormous black cat. In fact, as I type this, said cat is sitting on TOP of my laptop (its in a dock) intently eyeing my cup of chocolate raspberry coffee... no, he has made his move! I deftly stop typing, swoop the cup out of his reach and onto the other side of the desk. In the beginning when we would play this game, I lost regularly. Engrossed in my work, I would (swoop, back to the other side. Now he's facing me dead on, back on top of the laptop, and twitching his ears at me) miss his approach and he'd have his nose buried in the cup before I could grab it. Ive gotten much better (swoop) at the whole thing. He learns too, though, and has gotten tired of missing the cup so he is now just following my hand with the mug back and forth across the desk. Of course, Im having fun with him, too, and waving it in weird (that one was close) shapes through the air, just to make his head bob and weave until he looks drunk. He just perched on the laptop again and is licking his chops at me. Soon Ill get the disgusted chirp (SWOOp) that means he's going just to grab it out of my hand with his monster paw and damn the consequences!

Anyway, like I said, until you've shared your coffee (or fought over it at least) with a 2 foot long 18 lb cat.... you've not had a GOOD cup of coffee.

Im going to go now, and sip at the coffee (gulp, swooop) until Ive had my fill, then let him catch the cup he so ardently has been chasing around my desk for the last 20 minutes (he just grabbed at it with his paw... then tapped my hand twice impatiently). After all, the caffeine doesn't do a thing except put him to sleep. And he's so happy after a good slurp....

No comments: