I've been hired to make the cake for a friends baby shower on Friday and decided that I would forgo the normal "box cake" easy way out that I usually take and would actually make the cakes from scratch. As I've only ever made cake from scratch one other time in my life (Carrot Cake. turned out great), I was a little leery and followed every step of the recipe with great care. As the batter was ready to be put in the pan, I carefully unlocked the mixer and went to turn down the blade speed as I lifted them so they would gently whiz into the bowl and be cleaned off.
Only I accidentally turned it all the way UP instead.
The batter flew everywhere, little chocolate droplets of destruction coating my face, hair, and clothes as well as the cookbook and I think even a little bit hit the dog. It took Hubband about 10 minutes to stop laughing long enough to help de-chocolate-batterify me and I think there is still some in my hair that will have to be washed out.
The remaining batter seems to have baked up fine...we'll see how the decorating goes. With my track record for the day, I'm going to suit up in full hazard gear before I get started.