Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Back in the Saddle

Thursday afternoon I received a phone call from the mother of the bride who's wedding cake I did at Christmastime. Her son-in-law (not the groom, her other daughter's husband) was turning 31 and could I do a cake for his birthday party on Saturday? Obviously, it would need to be completed for them to pick up on Friday evening before sundown so I did a few quick calculations in my head, made sure Hubband would be willing to take some extra baby duty, and agreed. They wanted a baseball diamond, his favorite team is the Razerbacks and favorite color red. His ball number for the local team is 33. We actually made a figure out of gumpaste but did not put it on the cake because it didn't dry in time to decorate and include. The client (I have cake clients!) took it with her and was planning to use it even though it was unfinished. The grass piping took the longest, but it looks pretty realistic I thought! Hubband carved the bases and made baseballs for me out of gumpaste and I made the baseball bat and piped the stripes on the balls. It really was a collaborative effort. While I'm not thrilled with it (I feel its not as good as it could be), it was fun to get back to it for the first time since BabyBee was born. What do you think?


Posted by Picasa

No comments: